Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Help, I am trapped in a 300 pound body!


Well, it is nearly 11 p.m., and I am about to go to bed, wishing (as usual) that I could magically wake up in a "normal sized" body. I remember a poster my college roommate had hanging on her wall (way way back in the '80s) that showed the cartoon character known as Cathy lying in bed, surrounded by junk food wrappers, with the caption, "Wake me up when I'm a size 5". (Oh, and I just found it online, so here it is!) Heck, I'd settle for waking up a size 18. I currently wear a Women's dress size 28. To be honest, I can often fill out a 30 without even trying too hard. I want to lose a lot of weight, and I intend to lose a lot of weight, and I am here to write honestly about what "losing it" is like. I've made a start.

Unlike the Cathy comic, I am not surrounded by empty candy bar and chip wrappers. I actually ate a very healthy dinner, and then went out for a couple of glasses of wine with a friend: Jim, who knew me in high school when I was a cheerleader who weighed 135 pounds. My cupboards and fridge are stocked with a number of nutritious and reasonable food choices. I've recently been hired for a second job that requires a fair amount of moving about (unlike my primary full time job which is quite sedentary). Anyhow, several of my friends, including Jim, have suggested that I blog, since I am occasionally know to be wise and/or a wise-ass, and there are probably other folks "out there" who would relate to parts of my story, or at least find it mildly entertaining. So, I am too tired to write much more at this exact moment in time, but stay tuned for more of the horror and the hope!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this is awesome. What a great way to get a support group. I was at CostCo once and was thumbing through a series of books "Eat this Not that" and I was blown away by the contents. Basically you make healthy choices for the foods you like to eat and even the restaurants you like to go too. I was so impressed that I bought the series. In a few weeks I lost 5 pounds doing basically nothing except making a few different choices.

    Good luck on this journey to a new you!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Laureen! It's not easy to but your business out there. I am here to support you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck-I'm hoping I can learn from your example-or at least be motivated by you.

    ReplyDelete